William Johnson DCM MM
The son of William Richard Johnson and Elizabeth Peters Johnson (nee Walters), William was born on 12 October 1884 at Hull. He had been a bricklayer’s apprentice prior to joining the Army. While quartered at Colchester with the West Yorkshire Regiment, William married Mercy Willis in 1911, and at the outbreak of the war he was stationed with the 2nd Battalion on Malta, and in August 1914, was promoted to the rank of Sergeant.
Sgt Johnson landed at Le Havre on 5 November and, on 20 November, was transferred to the Royal Engineers Signal Service, posted to 23rd Brigade Headquarters. Johnson was awarded the Military Medal and the Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1917. Johnson’s citation reads:
For conspicious gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of the forward station of the Brigade. For two days, under most adverse conditions and in spite of heavy hostile shelling and machine gun fire, he managed to maintain almost continuous communications. His total disregard of personal danger inspired all under him with the utmost confidence and, through his coolness and able management, it was possible to bring artillery fire on to a hostile counter attack on 16/17 August 1917.
Appointed an Acting Company Quartermaster-Sergeant in December 1917, Johnson was transferred to VIII Corps Signals and then to III Corps Signals, with his temporary appointment being confirmed as his substantive rank.He went on to serve with the Army of Occupation following the Armistice.
.png)
In 1920 he was transferred to the Royal Corps of Signals and was issued with the service number 2306899. Two years later was promoted to Company Sergeant-Major. He was discharged on the completion of 21 years’ service on 6 January 1926.
On leaving the Army, William and his family settled in Wiltshire. From November 1930, he was employed as mobilisation storekeeper at Mooltan Barracks in Tidworth. He also joined the Tidworth (Salisbury Plain) Branch of The Old Contemptibles’ Association, serving as the Honorary Secretary from 1937 and also as Branch Standard Bearer. He frequently contributed Branch Notes to ‘The Old Contemptible’ using the pen-name Yorkie.
Following the declaration of war in 1939, he rejoined the Army on 8 November. He was initially posted to 53rd (Light) Training Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps at Tidworth as a Squadron Quartermaster-Sergeant. Johnson transferred to the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps as a Company Quartermaster-Sergeant on 29 December 1939. He saw service in North Africa.
Following his discharge from the Army for the second time, William resumed his activities with the Tidworth (Salisbury Plain) Branch. He continued in the role of Branch Secretary. Johnson was also a member of the Distinguished Conduct Medal League.
He died on 8 December 1967 and is buried in St James’s Churchyard at Ludgershall.
The Old Contemptibles
Old Contemptibles refers to the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) during the early months of the First World War, particularly those who served before 22 November 1914.
The name derives from a derogatory comment made by Kaiser Wilhelm II in his order to his troops to exterminate the treacherous English and walk over General French’s “contemptible little Army”.
Despite this derogatory term, the men of the BEF, who were mostly regular soldiers or reservists, adopted the name and later embraced it as a symbol of their courage and resilience.
The Old Contemptibles' Association was a veterans' organisation that formed in 1925 to strengthen bonds, safeguard the interests of members (regarding pensions and other matters), and provide assistance to those in need.