Royal Corps of Signals Yacht Club
Sailing, yachting and windsurfing for all The Corps
Charter a BoatThe RSYC has 2 Cruising Yachts for Charter, based out of the Hornet Services Sailing Club in Gosport.
The 2018 season.
Welcome to the 2018 sailing season and may it be a productive and enjoyable one for you all. Most of you will be aware of the changes in structure that the club has been going through over the last two years. We are now at the closing stages of these changes having bought and commissioned our new yacht, ‘Lightwave’ this Spring and said farewell to both Skywave and Quicksilver last season. The reduction in the number of hulls will allow the bosun(s) to concentrate on adding real value to the club in terms of the racing programme, the AT expeditions and the sail training weeks as opposed to being fixed in operating a pseudo charter business. I believe that we are now well-set for the 2018 season and beyond and indeed 2018 is already looking busy with a packed racing programme and plenty of other activity going on out on the water.
The charter pricing this year reflects the changes made last year and retains a few principles in mind:
- We must reward those that have paid in to the Corps Benevolent fund over time – the club is a significant beneficiary from the fund and it is right that those who have contributed benefit more than those who have not.
- In the spirit of the 3Rs (Regular, Reserve and Retired) we want to recognize those who have previously served (and contributed to the Corps fund) as much as those who are currently serving.
- We want to encourage all ranks who have a sailing qualification to use the boats – and this should be as easily achieved for a young solider with his family as for a Warrant Officer with a group of sailing friends.
- We need a system that is simple to understand and fair to all.
There will now only be 2 membership categories:
Full – applied to all Regular / Reserve / Retired R SIGNALS or QG SIGNALS personnel who contributed to the Corps Benevolent Fund during their service. For this group, membership is automatic and there is no charge.
Temporary – anyone else charged at £5 per person per charter.
There will now only be 2 rates:
Corps Rate – applied to any charter with at least one full member on board.
Guest Rate – applied to any charter not meeting the criteria above and only allowed at the discretion of the RC(O) where there would otherwise be no charter.
The new pricing is as follows (per day):
Do keep your eyes on the Facebook site (open to full members) for details of upcoming events. We welcome your feedback – much debate has gone on to get to this stage but if you think we’ve got it wrong (or right), do tell us! I hope to see many of you out on the water this season – whatever you do, enjoy it.
Adam Corkery Rear Commodore (Offshore) May 18
- Lightwave is our new Corps yacht and is very well appointed for family sailing.
- Comfortably sleeps six. Has two cabins.
- Fitted with a furling headsail
- Day Skippers, accompanied by a Competent Crew member, can charter
- Petasus is the largest of our fleet and requires a little more experience to handle
- Comfortably sleeps eight and has three cabins
- Fitted with furling headsail and has an in-line reefing system for the Main Sail
- A Coastal Skipper Qualification is required to skipper Petasus
Charter a BoatWatch the short video below or just hit the 'Book Now' button below
Royal Signals SailingA life on the ocean waves...