RSA Aldershot Branch
About Aldershot Branch
We are one of the original 13 branches established in 1920 immediately after the formation of the Corps the previous year.
A warm welcome awaits.
The Branch is centred in Aldershot, but its membership covers a large area of Hampshire and West Surrey.
This is broadly defined by the GU postal code but those living outside this general area are welcome to join when there is no other branch near them.
Aldershot RSA Branch Aims
The branch strives to further the overall aims and objectives of the Royal Signals Association by:
- Forming a focal point in the Aldershot area for ex members of Royal Signals and their partners, thus helping to maintain their links with the Corps.
- Fostering links between the Retired Corps and the Serving Corps by keeping in touch with Royal Signals units in Aldershot and the surrounding area.
- Maintaining liaison with neighbouring branches of the Association and with other Service-related organisations.
- In times of need, rendering help and assistance in the local area to ex members of the Corps and their dependants.
The achievement of the Branch objectives is fostered by a programme of monthly events. Our newsletter, entitled “Mercury”, is published three times a year, giving full details of future and past events and other branch news. Recent editions can be viewed using the links.
Membership of The RSA is open to any person – Regular, TA/Reserve, National Service, ATS, WRAC – who served with the Corps.
|Deputy Chairman||Mike Wilson|
|Programme Secretary||Neville Lyons|
|Newsletter Editor||Gill Ovenden|
|Committee Member||Donald Swift-Hook|
The committee has suspended all face to face meetings until further notice.
We plan to hold a number of Zoom meetings and Talks.
If you would like to join us on one of our events please complete the contact form below and we will email you the event details.
Stay safe everyone !
Branch History – A founding RSA Branch
The original 13 branches of the Association are recorded in The Wire of March 1921. From that list only Birmingham, Liverpool, Derby, Glasgow and London remain today in addition to Aldershot. Many more branches have, of course, been formed.
In those early days Aldershot was an important centre for the Corps with Mons Barracks housing several units and by 1926 there were no less than three Association branches there. These were eventually amalgamated into the Aldershot, Farnborough and District Branch but this was to close during WW2. It reformed after the war as the Aldershot Branch which had it inaugural meeting on 9th April 1949 in the Alexandra Hotel.
A full history of the Aldershot Branch can be found by following the link below.